Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Borger
The Rev. W. M. Lane, the presiding elder of the Amarillo district of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, visited Borger and decided to establish a church. The Rev. Orion W. Carter conducted the first worship service in the local grocery store. By July 1926 the church was formally organized by Carter with 15 charter members, and a 36' x 60' church building was erected by Guy Rich. By the end of the year the Sunday School had an enrollment of 250, and women's and youth programs were established. An addition was built in 1928 to accommodate the growing membership.
A second church structure, located on the corner of West Second and North Hedgecoke, was erected in 1930. The edifice served the congregation until 1952, when a third sanctuary was constructed at West Second and North McGee streets. An educational building was added in 1960. The congregation has grown with the city of Borger, and maintains a strong community presence.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1748.)
Location. 35° 40.027′ N, 101° 23.648′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on North McGee Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North McGee Street, Borger TX 79007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Girl Scout Little House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Borger 1929 Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Twentieth Century Club (approx. half a mile away); Ace Borger Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); East Ward Elementary School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.