Maitland in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Good Shepherd
The Church of the Good Shepherd (known as "The Chapel") was established in 1882 by the Right Reverend Henry Benjamin Whipple, the first Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of Minnesota, who wintered in Maitland because of poor health. Bishop Whipple envisioned his church as “… a place where the poorest man on earth may find here his Saviour's home.” The property for the church was donated by Mr. C.H. Hall in 1875. The church’s congregation formally began in 1879, when its members met in the parlor of Bishop Whipple’s house across the street from the present church. The church was designed by architect Charles C. Haight of New York City, and was constructed in 1883 by builder James A. McGuire. The timber frame building is an excellent example of the Carpenter Gothic style, and has a rectangular nave, a belfry with a tall pyramidal roof, and unusual triangular battens in its board and batten exterior. The church’s original 1884 stained glass windows were designed by Charles Booth in the Aesthetic Style, and are exceptional examples of this rare type of design in stained glass. The Church of the Good Shepherd was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
By Tim Fillmon, May 21, 2014
1. Church of the Good Shepherd Marker
A Florida Heritage Site
Erected 2012 by The Church of the Good Shepherd and the
Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-760.)
By Tim Fillmon, May 21, 2014
2. Church of the Good Shepherd
Marker to the left under the trees next to circular driveway.
Location. 28° 37.118′ N, 81° 22.096′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is on Lake Avenue 0.2 miles west of South Orlando Avenue (U.S. 17/92), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 331 Lake Ave, Maitland FL 32751, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carpentry Shop Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); William H. Waterhouse Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Railroading in Maitland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Bear Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland (approx. ¼ mile away); Lake Lily Drive (approx. ¼ mile away); Moseley House (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.