Collinsville in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Collins Company Plow Building
This building was built in 1865. Here, plows were assembled, painted, labeled and stored. By 1870, the Collins Company was producing 100 plows a day.
The introduction of the tractor and gasoline powered farm equipment eventually made hand plowing obsolete. The Collins Company stopped making plows in 1930, though parts were still made. In 1924, the plow storage building was converted to a social hall, containing a reading room, luncheonette, a shooting gallery and bowling alleys.
In 1939, Collins Company employee Fred Widen started displaying his personal collection of antiques and oddities several times a year. “Fred Widen’s Museum” became the forerunner of today’s Canton Historical Society Museum.
Erected by Canton Historical Society.
Location. 41° 48.6′ N, 72° 55.367′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 Front Street, Canton CT 06019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canton Soldiers Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured Charter Oak Offspring (about 400 feet away); Collinsville- Railroad from both sides (about 400 feet away); Collinsville’s Powerhouse Station No. 3 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canton Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Collinsville, Town of Canton (approx. ¾ mile away); Constitution Oak (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
Also see . . .
1. The Canton Historical Museum. (Submitted on March 28, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. The Collins Company. (Submitted on March 28, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. model railroad at the museum. (Submitted on March 28, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2016, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.