St.Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church and School
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1838 by German Lutheran immigrants, primarily from Bavaria and Hesse-Darmstadt, who located in this vicinity in the 1830s. The congregation, called Neudettelsau, erected a second log church in 1843 centrally located in the "German Settlement". A congregational split in 1846 resulted in the conservative members building a separate brick church a half mile away. This church in 1847 became one of the 12 charter members of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Growing membership required a larger brick church built on this site in 1860. In 1878 the two St. John's congregations in the settlement reunited.
The current Gothic style church was designed by G.F. Walker of Cleveland and built by A.M. Fry of Piqua in 1900. An addition was constructed in 1989. The original building cost was $17,043 not including member donations of labor, materials, and furnishings. A parochial school, built of logs, was established in 1843 and supplied with free books from friends in Germany. After the school was housed in the vacated church, a brick school was built in 1864 on the current property. An increasing number of students required the school to be replaced with a two-story brick building in 1880. The school was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt in 1937, with
Erected 2013 by St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 11.345′ N, 83° 21.074′ W. Marker is near Marysville, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Marysville- Plain City Road (Ohio Route 736) and Kandel Road (County Route 61), on the right when traveling east on Marysville- Plain City Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12809 State Route 736, Marysville OH 43040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mitchell Cemetery Stone #1 (approx. 3 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #2 (approx. 3 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #3 (approx. 3 miles away); Bridgeport / Bridgeport Iron Bridge (approx. 3.2 miles away); Cyprian Lee House / Colonel Noah Orr, “Union County Giant” (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Oldest Brick House in Marysville Virginia Military District (approx. 3.3 miles away); Darby Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marysville.
Also see . . . Neuendettelsau Nostalgia. (Submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.