Near Harman in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Big Lime and Big Injun
Erected 1963 by the West Virginia Historic Commission and sponsored by the W. Va. Centennial Committee of the Oil and Natural Gas industry.
Location. 38° 55.683′ N, 79° 31.437′ W. Marker is near Harman, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 32 north of U.S. 33, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. It is at the intersection of Main Street extended (County Road 32/5) and Route 32. Marker is in this post office area: Harman WV 26270, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tory Camps / Seneca Trail (approx. 2.5 miles away); Pendleton County / Randolph County (approx. 3.9 miles away); John Wolford (approx. 5 miles away); Seneca Rocks (approx. 10.3 miles away); A Melting Pot House (approx. 10.3 miles away); Sites Homestead More Than One Way Up (approx. 10.4 miles away); 10th Mountain Division (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harman.
Also see . . .
1. Oil and Gas Museum, Parkersburg, WV. “Both oil and natural gas were discovered in western Virginia by the first explorers in the mid-1700s. George Washington acquired 250 acres in what is now West Virginia because it contained an oil and gas spring. This was in 1771, making the father of our country the first petroleum industry speculator.” (Submitted on July 20, 2008.)
2. History of Natural Gas in West Virginia. “A thriving commercial oil industry was in process as early as 1819 with the first major wells drilled at Petroleum, outside Parkersburg, early in 1859; and Burning Springs a year later in 1860. Natural gas was moved in wooden pipes from wells to be used as a manufacturing heat source by the Kanawha salt manufacturers as early as 1831. These events truly mark the beginnings of the oil and gas industry in the United States.” (Submitted on July 20, 2008.)
Categories. • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,562 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the quarry wall showing what is described on the marker • Can you help?