Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lipscomb in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lipscomb Union Church

 
 
Lipscomb Union Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
1. Lipscomb Union Church Marker
Inscription. Lipscomb Union Church has served the residents of this community since the early 1900s. J.W. Arthur established the town of Lipscomb in 1886, and by the next year it was the county seat. Lipscomb soon boasted several stores, a post office and a newspaper. In 1908, residents organized Lipscomb Union Church to fulfill the community’s spiritual needs. The Rev. George A. McKee served as its first pastor.

Early in its history, the congregation of the non-denominational church met in a one-room wooden building erected by area residents. A 1917 tornado damaged the building and shook it partly off of its foundation. But members worked quickly to repair the damage. Over the years, members have continued to commit time, energy and funds to make repairs, additions and improvements to the worship facilities, and to take on other responsibilities in aiding the church and community.

Members have actively served Lipscomb through various auxiliaries, including Ladies Aid, formed by women of the church, and the Crusaders, a youth group. They have also been active in supporting international relief work and have worked with nearby rural churches.

Although the number of residents living in Lipscomb remained low throughout the 20th century, the church continued to meet regularly. Today, Lipscomb Union Church remains a vital institution in the community, enriching lives and serving as a spiritual beacon for the town and county.

Marker is property of the state of Texas

 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14015.)
 
Location.
Lipscomb Union Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
2. Lipscomb Union Church Marker
36° 14.003′ N, 100° 16.188′ W. Marker is in Lipscomb, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fourth Avenue and East Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on South Fourth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lipscomb TX 79056, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lipscomb County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lipscomb School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lipscomb, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lipscomb Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 10.3 miles away); Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (approx. 15.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lipscomb.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Lipscomb Union Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 16, 2016
3. Lipscomb Union Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement