Martha Cook Building
The Martha Cook Building first housed women students of the University of Michigan in 1915. New York lawyer William W. Cook, a Michigan alumnus, donated the building. The Collegiate Gothic residence was named for Cook's mother, Martha W. Cook. New York architects York and Sawyer designed this building as well as the university Law Quadrangle, one of Cook's later donations. Paul Suttman's garden statue, known as "Eve," was a fiftieth anniversary gift of the building's alumnae.
A statue of Portia, the heroine of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, stands above the entrance of the Martha Cook Building. Gothic groin vaults frame the ground floor hallway, which houses a full-sized marble replica of the Venus de Milo. The Red Room, which connects to the Gold Room by a paneled alcove, displays a seventeenth century Flemish tapestry. William W. Cook's Steinway piano, commissioned in 1913, as well as a bust of Cook are exhibited in the Gold Room.
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S601.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 16.492′ N,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William L. Clements Library (a few steps from this marker); Law Quadrangle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Denison Archway (about 500 feet away); Engineering at Michigan (about 500 feet away); East University Avenue Campus Boundary (about 800 feet away); Michigan Summer Symposium in Theoretical Physics (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Medical Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); The University of Michigan Men's Glee Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Also see . . . Martha Cook Dormitory. (Submitted on October 9, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of the statue "Eve". • Can you help?