Wheeler in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wheeler County Courthouse
As the area grew and its center changed, the town of Wheeler was officially designated the county seat in 1908. The wooden courthouse was moved to this site, but by 1913 it was too small to serve the county's needs. A separate building was erected on the southwest corner of the courthouse square that year to house the county clerk's office; it was enlarged in 1923. A bond election held in 1925 set aside funds for a new courthouse. The 1888 courthouse was sold to Sheriff Riley Price, who dismantled it and used the lumber to build barns on his ranch east of town.
Designed by E. H. Eads of Shamrock, the edifice was built by local contractors Hughes and Campbell. Featuring Palladian windows and Corinthian columns characteristic of the Classical Revival style, the 1925 Wheeler County Courthouse typifies the favored style of American public buildings of its time. The 1913 county clerk's office was torn down in 1929; curbs and sidewalks were in place
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11970.)
Location. 35° 26.675′ N, 100° 16.382′ W. Marker is in Wheeler, Texas, in Wheeler County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Main Street, Wheeler TX 79096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wheeler County (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Millie Porter House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wheeler Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Mobeetie Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Old Wheeler County Jail, 1886 Temple Lea Houston (approx. 10.6 miles away); Frank Willis, Sr. (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeler.
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.