Wayside in Roberts County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Despite enrolment fluctuations caused by drouths, oil booms, and other economic factors, Wayside prided itself on scholastic excellence. Beginning in 1929, high school students were transferred by bus into Pampa, Wayside District paying their tuition. In 1933-1934, all grades were transferred - an arrangement used until 1950, when Wayside consolidated with Pampa.
White Deer Land Co., successor to original donor Frederic Foster, then deeded the red schoolhouse for continuing community use to trustees Paul Caylor, R. E. Montgomery, and J. T. Roberts. Current trustees are C. W. Osborne, J. T. Rogers, and Jack Sloan.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 35° 38.115′ N, 100° 57.285′ W. Marker is in Wayside, Texas, in Roberts County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 70 and Farm to Market Road 282, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 70. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Miami TX 79059, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peter W. Gray (approx. 6.8 miles away); First Methodist Church of Pampa (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gray County Courthouse (approx. 6.9 miles away); Combs-Worley Building (approx. 6.9 miles away); 1934 Pampa Post Office Building (approx. 6.9 miles away); First National Bank in Pampa (approx. 6.9 miles away); Vittorio Emanuel von Brunow, M. D. (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pampa City Hall (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.