Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Raymond C. Morrison

 
 
Raymond C. Morrison Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, April 10, 2016
1. Raymond C. Morrison Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Raymond C. Morrison was born on Sep. 13, 1900 in Alworth, Illinois, to Phillip Huntley and Edith Adella (Cleveland) Morrison. On Jun. 9, 1924, he graduated from the New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Morrison married Helen Estelle Steele on Feb. 28, 1924, and they had two children.

Morrison is noted for being Fort Worthís first City Forester, beginning Jan. 1926. His most prominent works were an arboretum and a nationally-recognized municipal rose garden in Rock Springs Park, which later became Fort Worth Botanic Garden in 1934. He resigned in Dec. 1938 to form a landscape architecture firm with Eugene Carter. Morrison was named director of Hollandís Southern Institute for Town Service in Jul. 1939 which was initiated as a way to address issues pointed out in the National Emergency Councilís report on the Southís economic conditions. In Mar. 1941, Morrison became Federal Coordinator with the Federal Security Agencyís Office of Coordinator for health, welfare, and related defense activities. In 1947, he focused on his own business ventures including a soil company and turkey ranch. In 1951, he became the southwest regional representative for community services with the U.S. Air Force.

During his term as chairman of the Educational Committee of the American Institute of Park Executives, he co-authored
Raymond C. Morrison Marker in context image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, April 10, 2016
2. Raymond C. Morrison Marker in context
the book Letís Go to the Park with Myrtle E. Huff. Morrison was also known for his public speaking, photography, magazine and journal articles, and the various community groups he started. He was diagnosed with Parkinsonís disease and died of pneumonia on Apr. 12, 1989. His ashes were spread at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden.
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836-2011
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17028.)
 
Location. 32° 44.085′ N, 97° 21.912′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Rock Springs Road 0.2 miles south of Old Garden Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker stands on the "garden side" of the gateway structure leading into the Rose Garden in the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3220 Rock Springs Road, Fort Worth TX 76107, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show (approx. 0.6 miles away); Midnight (approx. 0.7 miles away); Herbert M. Hinckley (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Worth Zoological Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Westbrook Estate (approx. 1.1 miles away); Camp Bowie in World War I (approx. 1.1 miles away); Camp Bowie Boulevard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Worth's First Flight (approx. 1Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Also see . . .  The Fort Worth Japanese Garden. (Submitted on April 12, 2016.)
 
Categories. Horticulture & Forestry
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 11, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement