Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lacrosse in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

LaCrosse

 
 
Lacrosse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 9, 2016
1. Lacrosse Marker
Inscription. Settlement in the LaCrosse area started in the 1840s with the arrival of John Cellon, a young French immigrant. Other early settlers were Thomas Green, Abraham Mott, Richard H. Parker and family, William Scott and Thomas Standley. The town was built on land granted to Parker by the U.S. government in 1856. Cotton was the area's primary cash crop, and local buyers, like John Eli Futch, capitalized on the growing industry. Futch built a warehouse to store harvests and a general store to serve growers. In 1878, Parker's son, Henry Clay, opened his first business, which became the largest general store in the area. The post office opened in Futch's store in 1881, and he served as postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1897 and was named by either Mrs. Futch or Henry Clay Parker. By the turn of the 20th century, LaCrosse had two cotton gins, grist mills, multiple stores, and a hotel. Boll weevils devastated the local cotton industry, and farmers turned to potatoes as a new cash crop. The town gained acclaim as the "Potato District" and became a major shipping point with a cooper assembling barrels to transport crops by rail. LaCrosse remains a vital farming area for corn, vegetables, tobacco, and livestock.
A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2015 by Alachua County
Lacrosse Marker looking south down FL 121 image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 9, 2016
2. Lacrosse Marker looking south down FL 121
Historical Commission, the Parker Family, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-865.)
 
Location. 29° 50.592′ N, 82° 24.296′ W. Marker is in Lacrosse, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 121 and State Road 235, on the right when traveling north on State Road 121. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Lacrosse Fire Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20421 N State Road 121, La Crosse FL 32658, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LaCrosse, Florida (here, next to this marker); Newnansville Methodist Church Site (approx. 5.1 miles away); Newnansville Town Site (approx. 5.2 miles away); City of Alachua (approx. 6.6 miles away); Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Santa Fe de Toloca (approx. 8.2 miles away); 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952 (approx. 8.7 miles away); Town of Leno (approx. 11.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement of an earlier marker that was located at the same location.
 
Also see . . .  Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled
Photo of old marker taken in 1993. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, circa 1993
3. Photo of old marker taken in 1993.
“LaCrosse, Florida” (Submitted on April 13, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement