Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkmont in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Commerce

 
 
Commerce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 12, 2016
1. Commerce Marker
Inscription. Train #3 southbound, circa 1913. The wye (turnaround) is visible on the right. Because trains traveled with only one engine in the early railroad days and the tracks further south were under construction, a wye was necessary at Elkmont for southbound trains to move the one engine to the north of the train for a return journey.

Train #2 going north, circa 1945. Elkmont had three trains a day.

Railroad companies built section houses along the tracks to provide housing for their workers. This particular one was moved from the tracks to school property in the late '50s to serve as "The Scout House" for Boy Scout Troop 248.

Elkmont was indeed "King Cotton Country:" UP to 500 bales of cotton were sold in one week during January 1898. Elkmont had other bumper crops years: one was during the mid-1950s.

Livery Stables were multi-functional, providing care for the animals, seed, feed, and excursions for buggy rides or family outings. The stable on the left was on Railroad Street, and the one below was on Smith Avenue.

This old water tank was built in 1936 to serve the nearby cotton warehouses.

During the 1920s, brothers John and Harry Morris built a steam-operated cotton gin near the general store owned by their father, Hassie. When electricity became available in the late '30s,
Commerce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 12, 2016
2. Commerce Marker
they moved the gin across the road to its present location. Morris Brothers Gin operated under different owners until the mid-1980s when Kenny Carter purchased the property and began "The Ole Gin House Restaurant."

E.T. Gray and his eldest son, Fred Gray, Sr., ran a general store and a cotton gin in Elkmont as early as 1900. The gin became Fred Gray and Son (Fred Gray Jr. and George Gray). Gray Brothers was in operation until 1987 when it was sold to George Gray Jr. and Perry McNatt. Shown in the photos are Gray's Gin, circa 1918 (outside) and circa 1956 (inside).
 
Location. 34° 55.753′ N, 86° 58.4′ W. Marker is in Elkmont, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Upper Fort Hampton Road (County Route 49) east of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located along the Richard Martin Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Elkmont AL 35620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Downtown Scenes (here, next to this marker); Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church (here, next to this marker); Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle
The Old Gin House image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 12, 2016
3. The Old Gin House
(approx. 1.5 miles away); Old New Garden Cemetery / New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sims Settlement (approx. 4 miles away); Hernando De Soto in Alabama (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Saturn Legacy (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkmont.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Red Caboose sitting on old train tracks image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 11, 2014
4. Red Caboose sitting on old train tracks
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement