Spotswood’s 1832 Camden & Amboy Railroad Memorial
Based on British practice, stone “sleepers” were used to act as the foundation for the rails; quarries near New York’s Sing Sing prison were contracted to supply the stone blocks. Iron spikes, secured into holes drilled into the stone secured the tracks. The heaving of the stone in the spring thaw prompted a decision to use wooden ties as a base for the tracks and the “sleepers” were gradually replaced.
Spotswood’s role in the region’s growth can easily be traced to the presence of the rail line. Materials in and products outbound encouraged growth and passenger service enabled residents to travel in either direction whether to nearby stations or long-distance to nearby metropolitan areas.
Grant funding has been provided by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission, Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders through a grant provided by New Jersey Historical Commission, a Division of Dept. of State.
Location. 40° 24.18′ N, 74°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General George Washington (approx. half a mile away); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); Spotswood Mills (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Appleby Devoe Memorial Library (approx. 1.1 miles away); Borough of Helmetta (approx. 2.7 miles away); L.J. Smith Farmhouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Old School Baptist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); South River World War II, Korean Conflict, and Vietnam Conflict Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotswood.
Also see . . . Spotswood's Heritage and Cultural Commission Spotswood’s 1832 Camden & Amboy Railroad Memorial. (Submitted on July 8, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.