Nicholsonboro in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
When ownership of the lands reverted, 200 former slaves mainly from St. Catherines came here and established their own community in 1868. Ten years later eighteen Negroes signed a mortgage for 200 acres of John Nicholson's land. In four years the thrifty mortgage holders paid the $5,000.00 and received the title in 1882. The community was based upon fishing and farming with Savannah as the primary market. With changes in fishing technology and more stringent city marketing laws, the economic base and the community withered. The primary monument to this community is the Nicholson Baptist Church which had been established with the community. Two early pastors were Alexander Harris, who served with the Confederate Army, and Daniel Wright.
Erected 1978 by Georgia Historical Marker. (Marker Number 025-92.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31419, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vernonburg (approx. 0.8 miles away); Capture of the USS "Water Witch" (approx. 0.9 miles away); White Bluff Meeting House (approx. 1.8 miles away); St. Joseph's Hospital (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Colonial Shipyard (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pin Point Community (approx. 2.2 miles away); Beaulieu Plantation (approx. 2.3 miles away); Brick Pillar (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,365 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.