Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Central Railway Company
Realizing the value of rail service on the frontier, the citizens of Albany had raised $50,000 to win the railroad away from the nearby town of Ft. Griffin. As the end of the rail line, Albany experienced a long period of growth and prosperity. It became a shipping center for cattle, buffalo bones, and building stone. Hotels and stores sprang up to accommodate visitors and new residents arriving by train.
In 1900, the railroad started to build again, extending the line from Albany to Stamford. Purchased in 1914 by the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co., the Texas Central Railway was part of that system until the growth of highway travel reduced rail service. In 1967, the line was discontinued except for a short section between Gorman and Dublin.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5253.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Albany News (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Albany (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledbetter Picket House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgia Battalion Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Griffin Fandangle (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Albany's First Public School (about 500 feet away); The H.C. Jacobs House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.