Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio State School for the Blind

 
 
Ohio State School for the Blind Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
1. Ohio State School for the Blind Marker
Inscription. In 1835, Dr. William Awl of Columbus and Dr. Daniel Drake of Cincinnati presented recommendations to the Ohio General Assembly to establish a school for the blind. Legislation, signed by then governor of Ohio Duncan McArthur on April 3, 1837, provided funding to create the first state-supported residential school for the blind in the United States. The Institution for the Education of the Blind opened July 4, 1837, with five students. A year later, the first permanent structure, housing 60 students, was built on a nine-acre tract of land on the eastern edge of the city, and that was followed in 1874 with a larger facility near Fulton and Main streets. The school was honored and recognized in 1937 as being one of the finest schools for the blind in the country. In 1953, a new school for the blind was built at the present location at 5220 North High Street.
( Ohio Bicentennial logo)
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission The Longaberger Company Ohio State School for the Blind Alumni Association The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 60-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 4.15′ 
Ohio State School for the Blind Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
2. Ohio State School for the Blind Marker
N, 83° 1.14′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5220 N. High Street, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beechwold Pillars (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ohio School for the Deaf (approx. 0.7 miles away); Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA (approx. 1.2 miles away); Worthington Masonic Museum (approx. 1.2 miles away); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (approx. 1.3 miles away); Worthington Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); Veterans Fountain (approx. 1.3 miles away); Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducation
 
Ohio State School for the Blind Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
3. Ohio State School for the Blind Marker
Marker at a distance, looking west from driveway towards High Street
Ohio State School for the Blind Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, April 21, 2016
4. Ohio State School for the Blind Marker
Sign, on opposite side of driveway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement