Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Delaware City Public School

 
 
Old Delaware City Public School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Old Delaware City Public School Marker
Inscription. Delaware City was founded in 1826, in anticipation of the opening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. The town was incorporated in 1851. The benefits of proximity to the canal resulted in a sustained period by prosperity and expansion of the community. By the 1880s, the need for new educational facilities to serve a growing population was evident. In 1883 a new Delaware City Public School was constructed at this location. The building's design showcased the Italianate style that was popular at the time. The school continued to serve the community's needs until it was outgrown and replaced by a larger structure on Fifth Street in 1930. The old building was purchased by St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church in 1933, and remodeled for use as a Parish house. During World War II, the building served as a USO Center, providing off-base recreation for soldiers stationed at nearby Fort DuPont and Fort Delaware. In 1969 the City of Delaware City assumed ownership of the structure to house municipal offices. The former Delaware City Public School building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as part of the Delaware City Historic District.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-178.)
 
Location. 39° 
Old Delaware City Public School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Old Delaware City Public School
34.419′ N, 75° 35.639′ W. Marker is in Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Clinton Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Clinton Street, Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware City School No. 118C (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. half a mile away); The Diving Bell (approx. half a mile away); Pea Patch Island (approx. 1.4 miles away); Batteries Hentig and Dodd (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sally Port (approx. 1.8 miles away); W. Emerson Wilson (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
 
Categories. Education
 
Old Delaware City Public School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. Old Delaware City Public School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement