Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The William Montgomery House

 
 
The William Montgomery House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. The William Montgomery House Marker
Inscription. A Stone on the facade inscribed with the initials "I.M" and a date of "1789" suggests that construction of this dwelling occurred during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period of early industrialization in Delaware. Evidence of a stone house on this property does not appear until tax assessments of 1816-1817. William Montgomery, a farmer and War of 1812 veteran for whom the house is named, first owned the property and lived there with his wife, Jane and their seven children as early as 1805. The family resided in the home until William's death in 1838 at the age of 68. Located in an area of Mill Creek Hundred formerly referred to as "Milltown," the house is a well-preserved example of "Penn Plan" style architecture popular in the Pennsylvania and Delaware colonies until the mid-18th century. First recommended by William Penn to colonists in the late 17th century, the dougle-cell plan features two rooms with a separate stair hall. The use of the Penn Plan during the second decade of the 19th century is unusual and suggests an adherence to traditions characteristic of the Delaware Valley region. Due to its construction into a natural bank, one of the home's principal facades sits one story higher than the other. The properthy also features a small barn, frame well house, and the remains of a mill race, all of which date from the
The William Montgomery House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. The William Montgomery House
Click on photo and see the stone with IM 1789.
mid-19th century. A frame wing was added to the house in the mid-20th century by A.Felix and Marka DuPont, who owned the property at the time. The William Montgomery House was named to the National Register of Historic Places in July 1988 and was a recipient of the New Castle County Historic Preservation Award due to the efforts of Norman and Gayle Davis, longtime owners of the property.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-204.)
 
Location. 39° 43.878′ N, 75° 40.198′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Old Limestone Road, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 Old Limestone Road, Wilmington DE 19808, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delcastle (approx. 0.8 miles away); Robert Kirkwood, Jr. (approx. 1.5 miles away); Brandywine Springs (approx. 1.7 miles away); Marshallton (approx. 1.7 miles away); Camp DuPont (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Home of William Julius "Judy" Johnson (approx. 2 miles away); Greenbank Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); Wilmington & Western Railroad (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Categories. ArchitectureWar of 1812
 
The William Montgomery House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. The William Montgomery House
The William Montgomery Barn image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
4. The William Montgomery Barn
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement