Worthington Historic District
Worthington was founded in 1803 by the Scioto Company, settlers from Connecticut, and named after Thomas Worthington, a major proponent of Ohio statehood. The original plat included a 3 ½ acre village green bounded on the east by 1 ½ acre school and church lots. The green was surrounded by 160 residential and commercial lots, each measuring ¾ of an acre. By 1812, Worthington was a finalist for designation as the capital of Ohio.
The Worthington Historic District has evolved over more than 200 years from the center of a small village to the hub of a suburban community. The district includes numerous architectural styles: Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, American Four Square, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, and vernacular styles. The Worthington Historic District, framed by North, South, Morning, and Evening Streets, encompasses the original village. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. (Logo)
Erected 2012. (Marker Number 116- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 5.288′ N, 83°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bicentennial Oak (about 400 feet away); Eclectic Medical College (about 500 feet away); The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community (about 600 feet away); Worthington Masonic Museum (about 600 feet away); Orange Johnson House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Worthington.
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.