Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Southwood Elementary School
Historic Building, Still in Use
Built in 1894, the original eight-room Southwood Elementary School cost $16,000 to construct on this site purchased from a local family for $3,000. The school originally had five teachers and a teacher-pupil ratio of 50-1. Mary Esper was the school's first principal and German language instructor, staying until her retirement in 1923. Children attended grades one through eight and special biweekly classes in carpentry and cooking. The school had its first graduation ceremony in 1896, with six boys and seven girls being promoted to high school. By 1912, the school had grown to 17 rooms with 16 teachers and 735 students. A Parent Teacher Association (PTA) was formed in 1917, raising money for school supplies and equipment, food and clothing for needy Great Depression families, trees for the school grounds, cookies and candies for service men in World War II, scholarships, a new library, and much more.
The Southwood Elementary School, designed by the first architect employed by Columbus Public Schools, David Riebel, is noted for its Romanesque Revival architectural style. A fine
Erected 2009 by Merion Village Association The United Way of Central Ohio The Columbus Foundation The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 111- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 55.935′ N, 82° 59.563′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwood Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 S Fourth St, Columbus OH 43207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Merion Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. 0.7 miles away); Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (approx. 0.7 miles away); Schiller Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Mary Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.