Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hockessin in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tweed's Tavern

 
 
Tweed's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Tweed's Tavern Marker
Inscription. Formerly known as "MudFort," this log structure was built circa 1790. The original two-story building measured 21 X 27 feet, and featured an attic and full stone basement. A later tax assessment describes the house as d"large" and cites the presence of a "cookery (separate, original Kitchen), frame barn, and stables." In 1802, the tavern was sold to John Tweed. It remained in the possession of the Tweed family until 1831, when it is believed to have ceased functioning as a tavern. For much of the remainder of the 1800s, the building and the surrounding farm was the property of the Thomas Baldwin family; they were largely responsible for transforming the tavern into a domestic residence.e After several changes of ownership, the property was purchased by Alfred Giacomelli in 1930. Five generations of the Giacomelli family lived in the house until 1989, and various modifications were completed during that time. The building was purchased by the State of Delaware in 1999. After a formal bid process was held in February 2000, Preservation Delaware, under the direction of the Hockessin Historical Society, was awarded the building. Tweed;s Tavern originally stood on the northwestern side of the intersection of Limestone Road (Route 7) and Valley Road, along a former major grain trade route which ran from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania to Christiana
Tweed's Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Tweed's Tavern
Bridge and later Newport, Delaware. It was relocated to this present site beginning in June 2000.
 
Erected 2015 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-208.)
 
Location. 39° 46.616′ N, 75° 42.794′ W. Marker is in Hockessin, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Valley Road just north of Fitness Way when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hockessin DE 19707, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Henry "Nip" Winters (approx. 0.7 miles away); First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hockessin School #107C (approx. one mile away); Chippey African Union Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); St. John The Evangelist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex (approx. 2 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hockessin.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Tweed's Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. Tweed's Tavern
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement