Near St. Henry in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Cranberry School Bell
This bell is the original from the Cranberry School that used to stand directly across the road from this location. The bell was hung in the tower on the southwest corner of the school. Every day the bell was rung to begin the school day and call the children in from recess. Anton DeCurtins built the school in 1904 and its dimensions were 36 ft. wide, 50 ft. long and 30 ft. tall with a tower. it had a red tile roof, a basement and a steam furnace. These elements made it one of the most handsome and best- appointed school buildings in the county at the time. The front entrance of the school faced west. In July of 1923 electricity was installed in the school. Originally grades one through eight were taught in the one room schoolhouse. In 1936 the school was remodeled into a two-room schoolhouse when the Cranberry and Quinter schools were combined. Grades one through four were taught on one side and five through eight on the other. A teacherís house and a bus garage also stood next to the school. Cranberry school was in operation until the 1960-61 school year when it was annexed to St. Henry Schools. The Cranberry School was closed when the new St. Henry elementary school was completed and ready for classes in September of 1961. At 2:00p.m. January 18, 1962, the school was sold at auction for six hundred dollars
Erected 2008 by family of George Watercutter.
Location. 40° 23.581′ N, 84° 34.89′ W. Marker is near St. Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of Cranberry Road (County Road 115) and Fort Recovery-Minster Rd (County Road 30), on the right when traveling south on Cranberry Road. Touch for map. Monument is to the right, on the front lawn of St. Francis Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1519 Cranberry Rd, Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this St. Francis Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); The Cranberry Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 3.6 miles away); North Star (approx. 5 miles away); Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); New Weston Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Annie Oakley (approx. 5.6 miles away); St John the Baptist Catholic Church (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Henry.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.