Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona

 
 
The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2016
1. The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker
Inscription. The first members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter what is now Arizona were remnants of the Mormon Battalion. They arrived in the Valley of the Tucson Basin December 17, 1847, prepared for battle. However, the Mexican Garrison refused to surrender and departed with most of the population. The Stars and Stripes were raised over the ancient Indian village. This march accomplished the task of pioneering a route through southern Arizona and inspired many, like Pvt. Erastas Bingham, to return with his wife and sons. They homesteaded, cleared land of mesquite, creosote, cats claw, rattlers, Gila monsters, lizards and tarantulas. Teams, plows, picks, and shovels were used to build reservoirs and irrigation systems. They called their community Binghampton, The children walked or rode on horseback or in buggies to school at Nephi Bingham's home. School was later held in a one-room building south of the Rillito River at Fort Lowell & Maple Boulevard. In 1905 Alexander Davidson donated land for the Davidson School. Charles Bayless furnished materials, and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints donated labor. The school was used for cultural and church events. Settler families, Bingham, Farr, Young, Webb, Williams, and Hurst, were soon followed by Mormon Colonists fleeing Mexico. Colonists Langford,
The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2016
2. The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker
Bluth, Done, Ray, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson, Stock, Evans, Terrel, Jesperson, James, Price, Cordon, Butler, Huish, Naegle, Heder, Chlarson, and others added to the bustling Mormon farm village. The Binghampton Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized May 22, 1910. Binghampton was gradually absorbed by Tucson's growth. All that remains is the pioneer cemetery, a few adobe homes, and the chapel built in 1927, still used by ward members from the Tucson Arizona Stake.
 
Erected 2008 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Wagon Spokes Camp. (Marker Number 548.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 32° 16.181′ N, 110° 54.805′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from East Kleindale Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the west side of Binghampton Family Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3761 East Kleindale Road, Tucson AZ 85716, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Who Lived Here? (approx. 1.5 miles away); Does This Garden Seem Lush and Cool? (approx. 1.5 miles away); Cattle Tank (approx. 1.5 miles
The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2016
3. The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona Marker
away); Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell (approx. 2 miles away); St. Philip's in the Hills (approx. 2.2 miles away); Quartermaster Depot and Post Trader (approx. 2.3 miles away); Headquarter's Buildings (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rugged Pioneer Soldiers (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Also see . . .  History of Binghamton Ward. This is the history of the first branch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Binghamton. (Submitted on May 5, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
the Binghampton LDS Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 5, 2016
4. the Binghampton LDS Cemetery
Established in 1899 by pioneer settlers of the community of Binghampton.
Home of Nephi Bingham image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 5, 2016
5. Home of Nephi Bingham
This home was first the home of Nephi Bingham and later became known as the Castro Place, because Raul Castro, who subsequently was elected governor, lived at this location. The Castro Home is now part of the Montessori School, 3701 E. River Road.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 5, 2016
6. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
On September 15, 1927 the Mormons would begin to build the chapel that still stands at 3750 East Ft. Lowell Road. It was dedicated in 1935.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 5, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement