Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911 / Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Ohio Dominican University Est. 1911
The Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs founded Ohio Dominican University on this site on October 5, 1911. It was incorporated that year as the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs, a "literary college and institution of learning for the general education and training of girls and young women" and authorized to grant college credit. The name was changed to the College of St. Mary of the Springs in 1924 when the founding Sisters expanded the collegiate curriculum to grant the four-year degree of Bachelor of Arts. Following a decision in 1964 to admit men, the name was changed to Ohio Dominican College in 1968. With the addition of graduate degree programs, the name was changed to Ohio Dominican University in 2002. Today, the institution serves traditional and adult students, reflecting the Dominican belief in lifelong learning.
Early Sister-Founderesses of Ohio Dominican University
Two remarkable women helped to lead Ohio Dominican in its first two decades. Mother Vincentia Erskine, Order of Preachers, Mother General of the Congregation of Dominican Sisters, initiated in 1911 the process that enabled the Ladies Literary Institute of St. Mary of the Springs to grant college-level credit for courses. Mother Stephanie Mohun, Order of Preachers, served
Erected 2010 by Ohio Dominican University The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 114- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 59.558′ N, 82° 56.46′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Sunbury Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. marker is on the campus of Ohio Dominican University in front of Erskine Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1216 Sunbury Rd, Columbus OH 43219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spirit of the Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary of the Springs Academy / Anne O'Hare McCormick 1880-1954 Alum Creek & The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Vernon Community School (approx. 1.5 miles away); Bexley (approx. 1.6 miles away); Camp Bushnell (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bexley World War II Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Formerly Maryland Park (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 14, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.