Sabinal in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town founded in 1854 by Thomas B. Hammer who operated a stage shop and was first postmaster.
Despite Indian depredations, town thrived as settlers built homes, and a railroad reached here in 1881.
In 1906, town was incorporated. Telephone service started, city water works and volunteer fire department organized.
In 1907, Sabinal Christian College was founded. Closed in 1917.
Cotton industry was foremost in early 1900s. Today, farming and ranching flourish in community.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4425.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 29° 19.094′ N, 99° 27.603′ W. Marker is in Sabinal, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on Fisher Ave East (U.S. 90) 0.3 miles east of Austin Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sabinal TX 78881, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sabinal Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Site of Camp Sabinal Town of Knippa (approx. 10.8 miles away); J.M. Koch's Hotel (approx. 10.9 miles away); Captain John Coffee Hays (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2016, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2016, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.