Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Congregational Church
Founded in 1833, this is the oldest congregation organized within Toledo's original boundaries. From 1844 to 1913 the church occupied a succession of three meeting houses on St. Clair Street. In 1913 First Church merged with Central Congregational Church. The pews and eight stained glass windows from the 1878 church were incorporated into this meeting house which was dedicated in 1916.
The adjoining Central Church served as the parish house until its destruction by gas explosion in 1927. The present parish house, dedicated in 1931, has a cornerstone from Scrooby, England, one of the Pilgrims' hometowns. The windows of this church offer outstanding examples of stained glass from the studios of Louis Comfort Tiffany, Louis Lederle, and Payne-Speers.
Erected 1987 by First Congregational Church, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 39.995′ Touch for map. This marker is located on the west side of the street, on the front grounds of the First Congregational Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2315 Collingwood Boulevard, Toledo OH 43620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Chartered Girl Scout Council in the United States (approx. half a mile away); Toledo Museum of Art (approx. half a mile away); Art Tatum (approx. one mile away); Toledo’s Canals (approx. 1.2 miles away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (approx. 1.2 miles away); Spanish American War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lucas County (approx. 1.2 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.