Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The dream of a more proper school continued to be realized when the Academy was erected in 1889-90 on northeast corner of the Public Square. The first stage, on one story hewn-stone building with a flat roof was used as a social center and for church, as well as for a school. In 1896 a second story of locally made brick was added, along with a belfry on top. The bell rand to announce church, school, curfews, funerals and emergencies such as a fire.
By 1914 the student population again outpaced the size of the school, so some grades met elsewhere, including the nearby Tithing Office and the Ward Hall. In 1917-18 formal education for all grades moved to a new school atop Monument Hil at the east end of Center Street. The Academy was abandoned and eventually torn down. The bricks were repurposed to build homes. The empty field was used for many community purposes such as ballgames, rodeos and carnivals until a new elementary school opened in 1954 where the Academy building
Erected 2012 by Kanab Heritage and Historic Preservation Board.
Location. 37° 2.931′ N, 112° 31.723′ W. Marker is in Kanab, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is on North Main Street north of Center Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kanab UT 84741, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kanab Public Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kanab Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Academy Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Dick Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Bob Hoy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ted Markland (about 300 feet away); Don Collier (about 300 feet away); Robert Taylor (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kanab.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.