Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Springs Block
Built by Colonel Leroy Springs in 1905 of red brick stretcher and common bond brick, this block has housed many of Lancaster's leading businesses. In 1936, fire destroyed the southern end of the block which included the Hotel Royale and Lancaster Merchantile. The entire block was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in August of 1984. It was restored in 1986 in conjunction with Lancaster's Main Street Revitalization program.
Location. 34° 43.1′ N, 80° 46.167′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, South Carolina, in Lancaster County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 521), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 South Main Street, Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lancaster (within shouting distance of this marker); Leroy Springs House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas H Davis (about 700 feet away); The Jail / Robert Mills (about 800 feet away); Lancaster County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancasterville Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. ¼ mile away); Lancaster & Chester Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Also see . . . Lancaster Downtown Historic District. Springs Block is part of the Lancaster Downtown Historic District. (Submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.