The Landis Hollinger Mercantile
A. G. Landis and G. W. Hollinger, the town's first merchants, built a store on this site in May of 1872. The original building was located at what is now known as Dysart Park. The Landis Hollinger Mercantile expanded fifty feet to the north where everything from groceries and dry goods to implements and buffalo hides was sold. The building was rebuilt after burning to the ground in 1882. It later housed such businesses as Carlisle's, Gambles, and the General Store. Sterling Services purchased the building in 2006 to expand office and warehouse capability.
Erected by Historic Downtown Sterling, Ks.
Location. 38° 12.524′ N, 98° 12.422′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Kansas, in Rice County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (State Highway 14/96) and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139 South Broadway, Sterling KS 67579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Monroe Apartments (a few steps from this marker); The Mincer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bulletin (about 400 feet The Emporium (about 400 feet away); The Santa Fe Depot (about 500 feet away); Meade Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Cooper Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
Also see . . .
1. "Sterling," in Cutler's History of the State of Kansas (1883). (Submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Main Street Sterling. (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Historical Development of Sterling, Kansas. (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.