Near Elba in Coffee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Under the Act of December 29, 1841 establishing Coffee County, Commissioners Britton T. Atkinson, James Claxton, Thomas Cole, John B. Cruise, and Amos Wiggins were named to secure a "seat of justice" not exceeding 100 acres, and not more than six miles from the center of the county, and erect thereon a courthouse and jail, and lay off the remaining land into lots for sale.
The Court House burned March 1851. By election, Elba was chosen as the permanent location for the Court House in 1852.
Erected 1993 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 19.392′ N, 85° 59.919′ W. Marker is near Elba, Alabama, in Coffee County. Marker is on County Route 544 0.3 miles north of County Route 552, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elba AL 36323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holloway Tabernacle Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Battle Branch (approx. Arwood School Site (approx. 6.7 miles away); Folsom Estate (approx. 7.4 miles away); Folsom Birthplace (approx. 7.4 miles away); Historic Court Square (approx. 7.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 7½ miles away); City of Elba (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elba.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.