Rutland in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Italian American Club of Rutland, Vermont
On March 1, 1914, the Italian American Club of Rutland was founded as a mutual aid society by approximately forty southern Italian immigrants. Their mission included teaching local Italian immigrants English and assisting them to become American citizens. The Club’s first president was Domenico Paolucci and the first vice-president was Gerardo Ricci. On July 11, 1915, the Club received a charter to become the Christopher Columbus Lodge #414 of the Sons of Italy. The building at 73 Grove Street was acquired in 1933 for meetings and social gatherings and has been the site of weekly dinners, bocce games and other events that promote Italian heritage and culture in the community.
Erected 2015 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 36.645′ N, 72° 58.871′ W. Marker is in Rutland, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Street and Williams Street on Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 73 Grove Street, Rutland VT 05701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rutland Veterans Memorial Historical West Street Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Julia C.R. Dorr (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old State House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Old State House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Martin Henry Freeman (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Deere (approx. half a mile away); Fort Rutland Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutland.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.