Northfield in Washington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The Nation’s Oldest Private Military College
Founded by Captain Alden Partridge in 1819 as the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy at Norwich, Vermont, Norwich University was relocated to Northfield, Vermont in 1866. Partridge’s innovative curriculum combined military, practical, scientific and liberal instruction. Guided by his educational principles, Norwich University pioneered in offering civil engineering, physical education and experiential learning and was one of the first institutions to offer instruction in agriculture, modern languages and political-economy. The Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862 and the 1916 legislation which created the Reserve Officer’s Training Corps are extensions of Partridge’s theories of education.
Erected 1994 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 8.191′ N, 72° 39.565′ W. Marker is in Northfield, Vermont, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street and Park Ave. on S. Main Street. Touch for map. At Norwich University. Marker is in this post office area: Northfield VT 05663, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of Davenport Birthplace (approx. 5.9 miles away); Thomas Davenport (approx. 5.9 miles away); Town of Williamstown (approx. 6 miles away); Roxbury Fish Culture Station (approx. 6½ miles away); The Floating Bridge (approx. 7.1 miles away); In the late 1950’s Rock of Ages experimented with making lanes out of granite... (approx. 8.4 miles away); Population Center (approx. 8.6 miles away); State House (approx. 9½ miles away).
Also see . . . Norwich University - Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 28, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Norwich University.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2. submitted on June 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.