What Are We Doing?
Carillon Park has begun preservation and re-interpretation of Daytonís oldest standing structure, Newcom Tavern. Using replicated sash- sawn white oak siding and hand wrought nails, Carillon Park is now returning much of Newcom Tavern to its late 18th/early 19th century appearance while also protecting the log structure.
Built in to sections between 1796 and 1799, Newcom Tavern was constructed as a permanent, square hewn log home and tavern in Dayton. As such, Newcom Tavern was originally furnished with interior lath and plaster walls while face nailed rough sawn siding was applied to the exterior.
Since its construction the structure has been
moved twice and has undergone at least five major
alterations and/or renovations. With age and each
intervention, more of the buildingís 18th century
materials have been lost forever. The greatest factor
in accelerating decades of decay resulted from the
1895 removal of the protective siding that guarded
the tavern for the first 99 years of its existence.
(pictures and diagram)
Location. 39° 43.722′ N, 84° 12.003′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from S. Patterson Blvd.. Touch for map. marker is in front
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carillon Park (a few steps from this marker); William Morris House (within shouting distance of this marker); Locust Grove School (within shouting distance of this marker); Deeds Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Stewart Street Concrete Arch Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Viet Nam Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Patterson Homestead (approx. one mile away); The 93rd Regiment (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.