Mentone in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Greenspot Market
As travel increased, so did the need for supply stations, stores and purveyors of provisions. Pioneers heading into and out of the San Bernardino mountains frequently used an access road originally designed to transport timber to constructions sites in the San Bernardino Valley. Over time, that trail eventually became Highway 38.
Greenspot... The name derives from the Greenspot Springs along Mill Creek, north-east of this location. In 1884, the Excelsior Water Co. tapped these springs, digging a 650-foot tunnel to supply water to Mentone that is still used today.
The original building on this site was a blacksmith shop before it became the Rocky Comfort Store in 1910. Cornelius and Ruthann Hodenfield purchased the land and business in 1921, renamed it Hod's Place, installed fuel pumps dispensing Gilmore gasoline
The Great Depression took hold and the Hodenfield family sold the store in 1931, returning to their home state of Iowa. The store changed hands many times over the years; Mark and Ethyl Tyler, Sylvia and Clyde Parsons, (both daughters of William Young-the foreman of Redlands Heights Ranch), Karl and Constance Knudsen, Leon and Alice Stafford, Chester Nordling, Virginia Miller, Glen Soffel, Charles Peters and Ed and Virginia Adamczyk are all documented as being owners of the store at one time or another. Over the decades the business has been named Greenspot Trading Post, Hasty's Ranch Market, Greenspot Liquor and The Greenspot Store.
In 1992, the store changed hands again, this time purchased by Marlene Knox and her nephew and his bride, Gary and Debby Jacinto, who still operate it to this day.
Every effort has been made to preserve the uniqueness of this landmark as the Greenspot Market continues to provide World Famous Jerky and a last stop for travelers passing thru the Gateway to Big Bear.
In conjunction with the Jacinto Family
By the Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 of
The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 34° 4.281′ N, 117° 5.946′ W. Marker is in Mentone, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Mill Creek Road (California Route 38), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2402 Mill Creek Road, Mentone CA 92359, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yucaipa Rancheria (approx. 3.4 miles away); Yucaipa Adobe (approx. 3.4 miles away); Henry Harbinson Sinclair (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of First Lugonia, Now Redlands, District School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Kimberly Crest (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lincoln Memorial Shrine (approx. 5 miles away); A.K. Smiley Public Library (approx. 5 miles away); San Bernardino Asistencia (was approx. 6.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Greenspot Market.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 6, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.