History of the Parsonage Barn
The Parsonage Barn was built in 1867, and is the only building at this historical grounds to remain at its original location.Construction
This is an original 'fachwerk' barn. 'Fachwerk' is a construction method typically used in Pommerania, the area from which the settlers of Freistadt emigrated.
This building style consists of exposed wood beams, and the large open areas are filled with brick, stone or even clay and straw. The fill material is then covered with plaster. Many 'fachwerk' buildings were victims of the settlers inexperience with Wisconsin building conditions. Pommerania's winters were mild. Frost didn't penetrate the soil as deeply as in Wisconsin. Building in the same way they had in Germany, they unintentionally failed to dig the foundations of their earlier buildings deep enough.
The west wing of the parsonage barn was added in 1906.The house just to the south of the barn stands on the site of the original parsonage built for Pastor Krause, the first pastor of Trinity Freistadt Church. The house that stands at that site now was built in 1894 and was used as a teacherage.
Erected by Trinity Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site. Marker is in this post office area: Mequon WI 53097, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Teacherage Summer Kitchen (a few steps from this marker); Trinity School Woodshed (within shouting distance of this marker); Klumb-Beuscher Bake Oven (within shouting distance of this marker); Mueller Machine Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Horse Shed Reconstruction (within shouting distance of this marker); Gierach Smokehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vogt Woodshed/Radue Gas Engine (about 300 feet away); Baeseman Log Cabin (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mequon.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.