St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St. Peter's second and current church was designed by English-born architect Frank Wills (1822-1857). After establishing his practice in America, Wills helped found the New York Ecclesiological Society that promoted ancient Gothic English churches as prototypes for American parish churches of the day. Constructed as a frame, board-and-batten-clad building of the Carpenter Gothic style, St Peter's was one of twenty-four churches Wills designed. The cornerstone was laid in September 1849, but limited funding delayed the building's use until November 1851.
The church was enlarged in 1896 with the addition of the organ chamber and baptistery as two wings forming east and west transepts, ad then again in 1908 with the sacristy in the
Location. 40° 23.474′ N, 74° 23.368′ W. Marker is in Spotswood, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (County Route 613). Touch for map. Located near the main doors of the Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Main Street, Spotswood NJ 08884, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spotswood Mills (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); General George Washington (approx. half a mile away); Spotswood’s 1832 Camden & Amboy Railroad Memorial (approx. one mile away); Borough of Helmetta (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Appleby Devoe Memorial Library (approx. 2.1 miles away); Basilone Memorial Bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); L.J. Smith Farmhouse (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Bell Shall Not Toll (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotswood.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2016, by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.