Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forney in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Forney High School Building

 
 
Forney High School Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, June 26, 2106
1. Forney High School Building Marker
Inscription. Forney's first schoolhouse was built here about 1868, and its first general store was built nearby by pioneer settler John C. McKellar in 1871. This building was erected by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-39. Designed by WPA architect Hoke Smith, the Spanish Colonial revival style structure features a tile roof, multi-light windows, buff brick, and wrought iron and cast stone details. A high school was housed here until 1974 and a middle school until 1993.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995

 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8518.)
 
Location. 32° 44.643′ N, 96° 28.58′ W. Marker is in Forney, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and South Bois d'Arc Street, on the left when traveling west on College Street. Touch for map. Mounted on the north side of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 S Bois d'Arc St, Forney TX 75126, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forney Independent School District (within shouting distance of this marker); William and Blanche Brooks House (approx. 0.2 miles away); McKellar House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dick P. Moore House (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1899 Automobile Trip (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Madison McDonald (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dixie Overland Highway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walter Dickson Adams and the Adams Drugstore (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forney.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 43 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 13, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement