Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Perry Hall in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Chapel

 
 
Camp Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Marks, July 26, 2008
1. Camp Chapel Marker
This is the first of several markers to be erected in the Perry Hall community as part of a new historical education campaign started in 2007. It was dedicated on Sunday, October 14, 2007 at the church's 200th anniversary celebration. The marker was constructed by Catskill Castings of New York.
Inscription. The site of camp meetings between 1776 and 1807, when a log chapel was built. Methodist leader Francis Asbury visited frequently.
 
Erected 2007 by Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, with technical assistance from the Perry Hall Improvement Association.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 39° 24.149′ N, 76° 26.657′ W. Marker is in Perry Hall, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Joppa Road 0.1 miles east of Honeygo Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the historic Camp Chapel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5000 East Joppa Road, Perry Hall MD 21128, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harry Dorsey Gough (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Germantown (approx. 1.3 miles away); Perry Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); “Whitemarsh” (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park
Camp Chapel Church image. Click for full size.
By David Marks, circa 2007
2. Camp Chapel Church
The original Camp Chapel Church and cemetery were added to the registry of Baltimore County landmarks in 1999.
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 1.8 miles away); Union of Brother and Sisters of Fordís Asbury Lodge No. 1 (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry Hall.
 
More about this marker. The marker was erected on Sunday, October 14, 2007 as part of the 200th anniversary celebration for Camp Chapel United Methodist Church. It was manufactured by Catskill Castings of New York. It is the first of several community landmarks planned to be erected between 2007 and 2009.
 
Regarding Camp Chapel. The "old" Camp Chapel United Methodist Church and cemetery were registered as Baltimore County historic landmarks in 1999.
 
Also see . . .
1. Perry Hall and the Methodist Church: 1784-1850. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
2. Camp Chapel United Methodist Church: Gathering, Growing, Serving. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
3. Perry Hall Online. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. Perry Hall
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraLandmarksNotable PersonsNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement