Lander in Fremont County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Site of Fort Augur
1869 - 70
1870 - 78
Location. 42° 50.015′ N, 108° 44.032′ W. Marker is in Lander, Wyoming, in Fremont County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 287) near South 4th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 427 Main Street, Lander WY 82520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Noble Lane Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); M.N Baldwin Co. (about 700 feet away); Noble Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fremont Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bossert Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lander Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Palace Pharmacy, Albany Hotel, US Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lander.
Also see . . . Wyoming Forts of the Old West -- Legends of America. A sub-post of Fort Bridger, Camp Augur was established Lieutenant Patrick Henry Breslin and troops from the 4th U.S. Infantry on June 28, 1869 where Lander now sits. It was named after Brigadier General Christopher C. Augur, commander of the Army's Department of the Platte. (Submitted on July 15, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.