Irving in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bear Creek Community
These families organized the Shady Grove Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in 1884, erecting a one-room church and school building on land donated by Jim Green. The congregation, which built a larger structure in 1897, continued to grow and worship together throughout the 20th century.
The Bear Creek community school, known as Freedom School, began as a private education facility. The students later transferred to Grand Prairieís Dal Worth School, which became County Colored School
Approximately 150 years after the first settlers came to the area, the once rural Bear Creek settlement is experiencing rapid growth from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and related highway and airport expansion. Sheltonís Bear Creek Cemetery is one of few links to the settlement and the lives of the families who contributed over the years to the community.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15243.)
Location. 32° 49.058′ N, 97° 0.102′ W. Marker is in Irving, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Jackson Street east of Gilbert Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Jackie Townsell Bear Creek Heritage Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 Jackson St, Irving TX 75061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackie Mae Townsell (here, next to this marker); Alexander Dobkins Family Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Euless School (approx. 4.7 miles away); California Crossing (approx. 5.4 miles away); LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M. (approx. 5.8 miles away); Minter's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 6 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irving.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.