Miles in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Miles Methodist Church
The first small section of a church building was erected on this site in 1901. In that year, the Women’s Missionary Society began the fundraising and educational efforts which would make them instrumental in the history of the church.
The first religious building in Miles, the Methodist church became a center for public gatherings such as the Christmas celebration of 1903. In 1915 a southern addition, steeple, and bell tower were added onto the building. Ellison Hall was created for Sunday school and community meetings. Destroyed by fire in 1963, the church buildings were replaced with a brick structure by January 1964.
With an annual return to China Mott since the late 1980s, a monthly fellowship night (held since the 1930s), youth programs, and community worship, Miles United
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12170.)
Location. 31° 36.029′ N, 100° 10.918′ W. Marker is in Miles, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Broadway St, Miles TX 76861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Thiele Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sweet Home School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Oldest Rock Building in City (approx. 8˝ miles away); Rowena (approx. 8˝ miles away); SPJST Lodge No. 49 (approx. 8.8 miles away); Sons of Hermann Lodge (approx. 8.9 miles away); R. F. Tankersley Homestead (approx. 11.1 miles away); Community of Tennyson (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.