(Inscription under the image on the bottom left)
The Georgetown waterfront, early 1790s, courtesy of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
(Inscription under the image in the upper right)
John Lackett was hired in 1862 during the Civil War and remained as the gardener for 44 years. This photograph was taken in 1899.
(Inscription under the image in the lower right)
South façade and lawn with haystack, 1900. Hay grown on the South Lawn was harvested and sold by the Peter family.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watching the Flames (within shouting distance of this marker); Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presbyterian Congregation in George Town, (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dumbarton Oaks (about 800 feet away); Volta Place: A Place in History (about 800 feet away); Parrott Ropewalk (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emma V. Brown Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.