Ashland in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Whittle Garage
has been placed on the
of Historic Paces
by the Unted States
Department of the Interior
the Whittle Garage
Location. 42° 11.855′ N, 122° 42.862′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Oak Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Oak Street, Ashland OR 97520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Citizens Banking and Trust Company Building No. 2 1910 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Enders Building No. 1, 1914 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cuthbert Building (approx. 12.1 miles away); Hilt War Memorial (approx. 14.7 miles away in California).
Regarding The Whittle Garage. National Register #97000142
Also see . . .
1. Whittle Garage Building. The Whittle Garage Building has been used by a variety of businesses throughout its history. Completed in 1925 by Floyd Whittle, it is the best surviving example in Ashland's downtown of the simple, utilitarian falsefront (Submitted on July 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
2. A Bit of Ashland History: Whittle Garage. Floyd Whittle built his one-story, fire resistant, reinforced concrete structure and concrete floors to last. If he thought about how his building would be used in the future, surely a micro-brewery restaurant would not have entered his mind. After all, that was 1925, eight years before the 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition. And the Amarotico brothers, responsible for converting the Whittle Garage Building into the classy Standing Stone Brewing Co, surely have trouble believing that Whittle built that garage for $6,000. It took a half million dollars for them to renovate the garage before it was suitable for public assembly in 1997. ssbuild1By the time Whittle arrived in 1909, Ashland, founded in 1850, had already developed a substantial industrial base. Whittle formed a moving and storage operation, and in 1925 built a new industrial building in the commercial area. The plan he chose was an adaptation of the Falsefront form used extensively in the towns of Oregon since 1850. The extended facade gave the appearance that a one-story building was larger and more formidable than it was; it also hid the simple gables and sloped roofs from the public view. During the early years of the 20th century, the automobile became the main source of personal travel. New buildings were needed to accommodate the growing businesses needed to service the cars, while existing buildings were simply modified. (Submitted on July 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
3. National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on July 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.