Near Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The John Hughes Cabin
A gardener and mason, Hughes was employed the 10th of November, 1819, by Fr. John DuBois (founder of Mount Saint Mary's in 1808 and third bishop of New York (1826-1838) "Receiving as compensation, board, lodging and private instruction." Until the fall of 1820, when he moved into the two-story log house on the terrace (built 1809), John Hughes lodged in this cabin. To make room for the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, it was moved in 1907 south of McSweeny Hall (the seminary building).
Hughes was noted as a scholar, a protagonist of the church, a force against trusteeism, and a supporter of catholic education. During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln sent Hughes to Europe to further the Northern cause.
Hughes founded both St. Joseph's seminary in Troy (forerunner of St. Joseph's Seminary, Dunwoodie, Yonkers, New York) and St. John's College, Fordham (subsequently Fordham University). He planned and began (1858) St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York.
To commemorate the 175th year of Mount Saint Mary's College and Seminary, John Hughes' cabin was sited here, December, 1982.
Location. 39° 40.891′ Touch for map. Located in the National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes, Mount St. Mary's College and Seminary. Marker is in this post office area: Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Elder, Sr. (here, next to this marker); Site of Father Dubois House (here, next to this marker); Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (a few steps from this marker); Pangborn Memorial Campanile (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes (within shouting distance of this marker); Amleto Cardinal Cicognani (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corpus Christi Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Bishop John Hughes. A short biography. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Story of the Grotto. A short history of the Grotto of Lourdes. (Submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,126 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.