Near Eagle Lake in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman
As pioneers in this colony, the Newmans received land grant no. 59 from Mexico - a league and a labor of land in what became Wharton County, including this site. An early census listed Joseph Newman as a farmer and stock raiser. They had ten children - Mary, William, Louisa, Minerva, Sarah (known in Texas history as Sally Scull), Elizabeth, Thomas, Ali, Joseph, Jr., and Andrew - and experienced firsthand the austerity of the Texas frontier.
Upon Joseph's death in February 1831, he was buried at a now-unknown location on his league of land. Four years after Joseph's death, Rachel gave her interest in the Newman lands to her children, but continued living on her original homesite. She also inherited Rabb property in Matagorda County from her parents. By 1854, the entire Newman League had been sold out of the family. Rachel moved to DeWitt County, where she married again. She is buried in the Salt Creek Cemetery on the DeWitt-Karnes County line.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12787.)
Location. 29° 26.257′ N, 96° 16.209′ W. Marker is near Eagle Lake, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 102 south of Farm to Market Road 263, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Lake TX 77434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frazarville (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lakeside Sugar Refinery (approx. 9.6 miles away); Rice Culture in Colorado County (approx. 11.1 miles away); Town of Eagle Lake (approx. 11.1 miles away); Navigation of the Colorado River (approx. 12.4 miles away); Wharton County Courthouse (approx. 13½ miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.