Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp
During World War II, over 50,000 German prisoners of war were interned in camps throughout Texas. Camp Swift in Bastrop County operated a number of branch camps along the Texas Coast, and in 1943 Camp Wharton was established at this site. The old county fair buildings were converted for use by the prisoners and U.S. Army, and the prisoners worked as farm laborers throughout Wharton and Colorado counties.
After the camp was closed at the end of the war, the site was offered to the newly created Wharton County Junior College District in 1946. Both fairgoers and students used the
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4917.)
Location. 29° 19.351′ N, 96° 4.987′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on East Bolling Highway (Farm to Market Road 1301) east of Junior College Boulevard, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2015 Jr College Blvd, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Security Bank and Trust Company (approx. 1.3 miles away); Judge George E. Quinan (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wharton County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wharton County Confederate Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wharton County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); City of Wharton (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
Also see . . . Prisoners of War article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.