Sulligent in Lamar County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Birth of Sulligent
In April 1886, railroad prospectors were traveling up the Butahatchie Valley in Lamar County, Alabama, Moscow beat, and securing right of way for a railroad to be built that would connect Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee. In November 1886, resident engineer Thomas of the Kansas City Railroad made headquarters, taking care of railroad business, at G. Bankhead's popular old southern home. His home was situated about one-half mile away, overlooking the site of a future town on Colonel G.E. Brown's farm. In August 1887, a depot was established on the Brown farm and Elliot was chosen as the name in honor of Major R.H. Elliott, general superintendent of construction at Bessemer, Alabama. In September 1887, the first through train passed through Elliot with high officials of the railroad on board and Colonel G.E. Brown began to lay off property lots for the town and the towns name was changed in September 1887 to Sulligent in honor of Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Sargent, two railroad employees.
One of Sulligent's main attractions was an artesian well located on Front Street, near the depot. It was declared as one of the best mineral waters in the south. Property lots in the embryo town
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Sulligent.
Location. 33° 54.103′ N, 88° 8.056′ W. Marker is in Sulligent, Alabama, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Alabama Route 17 and East Front Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 17. Touch for map. Located in a small pocket park. Marker is in this post office area: Sulligent AL 35586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow The Ogden House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Hollis Bankhead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lamar County Korea & Vietnam Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lamar County Confederate Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lamar County WWI & WWII Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Historical Pikeville (approx. 14.2 miles away); General Jackson's Military Road (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Sulligent, Alabama. (Submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.