Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse

 
 
1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2016
1. 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Palm Beach County (established in 1909) had its first County offices in an old school house in West Palm Beach. In 1913, the Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners approved the construction of a new courthouse designed by Wilber Burt Talley, one of Florida’s prominent architects. Contractor Evert P. Maule submitted the winning bid of $122,500 for the building’s construction. The courthouse was completed in 1916 and is an outstanding example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture in Florida. The imposing four-story building is dominated by three grand columned porticos, with exterior walls of brick veneer trimmed in industrial limestone. The building was dedicated in 1917 and at the time held all County offices and had one courtroom, which was used for ten years. The County’s explosive growth during the 1920s and after World War II led to several additions to the courthouse which, by 1972, had totally enclosed the original building. After standing vacant for nearly a decade, the County funded an $18.5 million restoration of the historic courthouse in 2002, which was completed in 2007. Government offices once again occupy the gracious building, as does a museum showcasing the history of Palm Beach County.
 
Erected 2011 by The Palm Beach County Board of County Commissioners, the Robert Neff
1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse Marker and courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2016
2. 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse Marker and courthouse
Family, Historical Society of Palm Beach County, and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-712.)
 
Location. 26° 42.92′ N, 80° 3.169′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker can be reached from North Dixie Highway 0.1 miles north of Banyan Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. At one time the marker would have fronted on 2nd Street. It is now a pedestrian walk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach FL 33401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old St. Ann's Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clematis Street Commercial Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Flagler Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Palm Beach High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Palm Beach Junior College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Seaboard Air Line Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cocoanut Grove House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2016
3. 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement