Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Albany in Union County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Union County, Mississippi

 
 
Union County, Mississippi Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
1. Union County, Mississippi Marker
Inscription. Union County was established on July, 7, 1870, during the post—Civil War Reconstruction era, from portions of Tippah, Lee, and Ponotoc counties. Governor James L. Alcorn appointed Union County's first officials and set New Albany as the county seat. The first courthouse as built on Cotton Street ca. 1870, and the current courthouse was constructed in 1909. According to local legend, the county was named for Union District, South Carolina, where a number of the county's settlers originated.
 
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 34° 29.576′ N, 89° 0.424′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Mississippi, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bankhead Street (State Highway 178) and Court Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Bankhead Street. Touch for map. Located on the lawn of the Union County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 East Bankhead Street, New Albany MS 38652, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mosley and Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Faulkner
Union County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
2. Union County Courthouse
(approx. 0.2 miles away); New Albany, Mississippi (approx. ľ mile away); Elder Roma Wilson & Rev. Leon Pinson (approx. half a mile away); Glenfield Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Stratford Company (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ishtehotopah (approx. 2.9 miles away); Blue Springs (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
 
Also see . . .  About Union County. (Submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Union County Courthouse & Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
3. Union County Courthouse & Marker.
View of marker looking east on Bankhead Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
4. View of marker looking east on Bankhead Street.
Courthouse placed on National Register of Historic Places. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
5. Courthouse placed on National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement