Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

West Settlers Historic District

 
 
West Settlers Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
1. West Settlers Historic District Marker
Inscription. Established in 1894, the West Settlers area is the site of the first African-American settlement in Delray Beach. African-Americans from the north and west Florida, Georgia and South Carolina were the first non-Native Americans in the area, laying the foundation of a strong agricultural economy in the region. The community was self-sufficient and settlers utilized local materials and their own construction knowledge. Known as the “Red Line” for the painted tin roofs, the “shot gun” houses that once occupied the east side of NW 3rd Avenue were developed for Henry Flagler’s railroad workers. Isaiah Bruin, one of the community’s earliest builders, constructed many residences along NW 3rd and 4th Avenues, including the Susan Williams House, which is now located at the S.D. Spady Cultural Complex on NW 5th Avenue. The La France Hostel (1949), located at 140 NW 4th Avenue, was once the only hotel in Delray Beach that welcomed African-Americans during segregation. Owned by Charles and Francenia Patrick, the hotel welcomed celebrated black musicians and civil rights figures. The Patricks built their homestead next door at 400 NW 2nd Street. In 1997, the community was locally designated the West Settlers Historic District.
 
Erected 2009 by The City of Delray Beach, the Delray Beach
West Settlers Historic District Marker at intersection image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 2, 2016
2. West Settlers Historic District Marker at intersection
Community Redevelopment Agency and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-667.)
 
Location. 26° 27.91′ N, 80° 4.637′ W. Marker is in Delray Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest 4th Avenue and Northwest 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on Northwest 4th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delray Beach FL 33444, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delray History (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Delray Beach (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named West Settlers Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cason Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old School Square Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Del-Ida Park Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Florida East Coast Railway Station (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Del-Ida Park Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delray Beach.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement